[WikiEN-l] The American ego trumps all -- thank God, 'cause mine needs surrounded by other big heads

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 19 19:07:30 UTC 2007

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

>>>Right on.  After all, size is all that matters,
>>>

>>Size isn't all that matters, but it's one thing that matters.  (Or more
>>precisely, importance, which is often related to size.)
>>

>>>and only the last few hundred years of history have any meaning.
>>>

>>I believe that Paderewski was a pianist and a Prime Minister during the
>>same historical time period.  The same for Grace Kelly being an actress and
>>princess of Monaco.
>>

>I know a little bit about grammar and sometimes putting something at the end
>of a sentence is supposed to draw attention to it, so mentioning something
>first doesn't neccesarily mean it's more important. I don't deny the US is
>important in world politics today, but that fails to take into account
>anything that happened before the US even existed or any nationally
>important stuff from other countries. Their influence doesn't matter. All
>countries are notable and should be treated equally independantly of size or
>influence.

It's difficult for me to resist someone's fatuous comments about the
last few hundred years of history.  Perhaps he has never heard that
those who ignore the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.  The
lessons have been there for a long time as evidenced by the [[Classic of
History]].  Over the years others too havemade keen observations about
issues, and it is amazing how much influence Aristotle and Plato still
retain over modern political thought.  Perhaps the less said about the
role of the US in today's world the better.  It suffices to say that
there is a sharp contrast between such attitudes within and without the
United States about the importance of the United States.  Most
experienced Wikipedians from both camps are acutely aware of the
distinction, and are willing to moderate their views in the intrest of NPOV.

Ec