[WikiEN-l] {{spoiler}} vs. writing a goddamn encyclopedia

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sat May 19 15:53:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> >>No, not at all - by analogy to living biographies, where we do need
> >>sources for facts being important, rather than merely documented.
> >Not in the same sense.  We need sources as evidence for importance, but we
> >don't require that a source actually say "this fact is important".  Importance
> >is something we deduce from sources, not something which must be explicitly
> >stated in them.
> You aren't addressing the question though.  It was about the fact that a
> given fact is a spoiler, or that it does in fact spoil someone's
> enjoyment.  The question said nothing about "importance" or
> "notability".  Referring to these throws in red herrings for the sole
> purpose of having a question that was easier to answer than the one that
> was actually asked.

Uhh, you do know what an analogy is, I hope?

The point is that just like whether something is notable, whether something
is a spoiler is a conclusion made about article content.  Conclusions made
about article content don't require sources in the sense of finding a source
that states the conclusion.