[WikiEN-l] The Madness of King Infobox

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Fri May 18 20:40:46 UTC 2007

> For heaven's sake, you never call someone's voice their instrument. Ever.
> The terminology is nonsensical. Again, the box just does not fit.

To be fair, as a music student and vocal major in college for a time, our
voices were consistently referred to as instruments.

No clue if it's widespread, but it's not as nonsensical to me as it
appears to you.

> The problems these bioboxes are causing are very widespread. You simply
> cannot twist the article beyond all boundaries of accuracy, correct
> terminology and common sense just to fit an infobox. Infoboxes are
> supposed
> to be a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

What's frustrating the most is that the boxes don't break if you fail to
include information.  So no one ''has'' to put something for country of
origin or instrument or party or anything else, and the box is still good.

There are constructive ways to deal with things, folks.  I'm not directing
this at who wrote what I'm quoting, but it seems like, more and more
often, the path of least resistance is being ignored.

-Jeff

--
If you can read this, I'm not at home.