[WikiEN-l] The Madness of King Infobox

Christiano Moreschi moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk
Fri May 18 20:20:42 UTC 2007

A couple especially inglorious examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ignacy_Jan_Paderewski&oldid=131151509

Awww. Isn't a shame that people aren't one-dimensional animalistic robots
that sometimes just refuse to be pigeon-holed? (Apart from that, whenever I
see "Genre:Classical Music" I want to start kicking people).

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Giuseppe_Di_Stefano&oldid=131704079

For heaven's sake, you never call someone's voice their instrument. Ever.
The terminology is nonsensical. Again, the box just does not fit.

The problems these bioboxes are causing are very widespread. You simply
cannot twist the article beyond all boundaries of accuracy, correct
terminology and common sense just to fit an infobox. Infoboxes are supposed
to be a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

Accuracy is what we need at Wikipedia. Homogeneous conformity is not,
especially when this leads to idiocy, inaccuracy, and proves impossible to
enforce. Priorities need to be changed.

Moreschi