[WikiEN-l] Copyright dispute

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri May 18 19:00:19 UTC 2007

On 18/05/07, sean at epoptic.com <sean at epoptic.com> wrote:
> Dear smart people:
>
> What procedure I should follow when someone denies that I do not own a
> copyright that in fact I do own?
>
> I have been assigned the copyrights to my grandfather's books, and I'm
> even being paid royalties from the publisher of one of them.  No one who
> is qualified to have an opinion has any doubt that I am the copyright
> holder.  One particular user, on the other hands, knows that everyone
> else is wrong (and that I am lying).
>
> The dispute is focused on an image of the cover of one of the books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:5CSL.jpg - I assume?

I note that - as far as I can tell - the issue at use isn't really
that you own the copyright to the books, it's that you state that "the
copyright to the *actual cover image* is held by Dodd, Mead & Company"
[emphasis mine].

The fact that he was the author is, as far as I can tell, not really
relevant here... you're not uploading the text, which you own the
rights to, but a derivative of the cover image, which you state you
don't.

(Yes, they are being rude in not accepting your perfectly upfront
explanation. But it doesn't seem to matter - whether true or not, the
image is still apparently unfree)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk