[WikiEN-l] Copyright dispute

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Fri May 18 05:46:29 UTC 2007

On 5/17/07, sean at epoptic.com <sean at epoptic.com> wrote:
> Dear smart people:
>
> What procedure I should follow when someone denies that I do not own a
> copyright that in fact I do own?
>
> [snip]
>
> The dispute is focused on an image of the cover of one of the books.
>
> How can this be most effectively resolved?

By making it clear that you own the copyright to the book including
its cover.  Do you actually hold the copyright to every element of the
book's cover, including that of the photograph used on it - or at
least, the copyright to everything not PD already?

If you are not absolutely sure you own the copyright to every element
of that cover, stating that you release all the copyright you hold and
that any remaining copyright is being used under fair use as an
identifying image of a work in the article about that work should be
sufficient.

I'd add that the user in question is being an ass, and that
unfortunately our image use policies make some users feel that going
round and being an ass is supported by policy.

-Matt