[WikiEN-l] {{spoiler}} vs. writing a goddamn encyclopedia

Gallagher Mark George m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu May 17 23:38:06 UTC 2007

G'day David,

> Huh. We need to go through that thing, write a tentative policy based
> on it and see if there's any remaining places a {{spoiler}} template
> is actually appropriate.
>
> Places it isn't:
>
> * Anywhere under a Plot, Summary, Synopsis, Story or similar header
> ** Anywhere the spoiler content *should* be under such a header
> * Articles about fictional characters - no-one would look them up
> without knowing the stories
> * Any article where almost the entire article would have to go
> under a spoiler
> * Fairy tales, Shakespeare, classical mythology or similar cultural
> canon, under the proviso of "don't be stupid"
>
> What's left?

Unrelated articles, or articles where one wouldn't expect to be spoiled (e.g. /Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets/ in [[Anagram]]).  Certainly, these spoilers shouldn't be present in the article at all, but if they are, I can see an argument for tagging them.  That is to say, the argument for tagging them is stronger than that of tagging other articles.

--
[[User:MarkGallagher]]