[WikiEN-l] {{Spoiler}} insanity

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 17 19:33:38 UTC 2007

Charlotte Webb wrote:

>In abbreviated form, those will be the rebuttals to your solution.
>Whether they would be valid ones I don't know yet. Suppose I would
>have to read the small print.
>
>While I agree we would probably be better off without {{spoiler}} tags
>anywhere, I can't say the same for infoboxes. The real problem there
>is inconstant formatting from one template to the next, and that there
>are too many specialized ones, and in some cases nobody can agree on
>which one should be used (see Paderewski). Ideally it wouldn't matter.
>
>For now the best approach would probably be to limit the ability of
>wikiprojects to annex articles of debatable relevance. Probably I'm as
>annoyed by talk page banners as you are by infoboxes.

My attitude toward infoboxes is about as generous as my attitude toward
spoiler warnings, but what seems important to me in dealing with this
category of problem is maintaining focus.  By taking one of these
problems, like spoiler warnings, and combining our energies to deal with
it we can be far more effective than in trying to deal with all of them
at the same time.  Our opponents tend to be particularly focused to the
point of monomania.

This does not diminish the importance of the other problems; it's only a
tactical deferral.

Ec