[WikiEN-l] {{spoiler}} vs. writing a goddamn encyclopedia

Gallagher Mark George m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed May 16 03:22:16 UTC 2007

G'day Delerium,

> Ray Saintonge wrote:
> > I've just done [[All Quiet on the Western Front]] and [[The
> Birth of a
> > Nation]] (1915 movie).  It all makes me wonder.  On a site where
> there
> > is so much concern about marketting and spam it seems completely
> > contrary to have spoiler warnings.  Spoiler warnings are a
> _marketting_
> > tool; they want to make people curious enough to see the movie,
> watch
> > the programme, read the book.
>
> This seems like a pretty ridiculous supposition of bad faith.  Are
> you
> seriously alleging that Wikipedia is being spammed by people who
> have a
> financial interest in promoting sales of the novel _All Quiet on
> the
> Western Front_ (published 1929), rather than by editors who in
> good
> faith think (even if wrongly) that the information is better
> presented
> with spoiler tags?

No, he's saying quite the opposite.  (I'm sure Ray is quite capable of speaking for himself, but I want to see if I'm right in my understanding of what he said).

I see it as, "Our less clueful brethren busy pushing {{spoiler}} on everyone wouldn't be so enthusiastic if they saw it as merely an advertising technique rather than a necessity.  We shouldn't buy into the film industry's games."

Cheers,

--
[[User:MarkGallagher]]