[WikiEN-l] Referencing policy/guidelines

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Tue May 15 19:00:46 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:

> The objection of it being a subscription site is of course wrong, but
> it seems a little more complicated:
>
> Some or all  of the links reverted were to a dead site. This is a
> different problem. I really do not see a how a link to a site that
> cannot be reached by anyone at all  is a reference.  The only way to
> go would be to find it in a old file somewhere--or to have made a
> permanent link by one of the available methods in the first place, or
> to have an equivalent print link.
>
> This is one of the known hazards of using purely online references.

The standard - and logical - guideline is to keep them as a record of what
sources were used until we can find better ones. As [[WP:CITE]] notes, "When
printed sources become outdated, scholars still routinely cite those works
when referenced." An out-of-print book is still fair game, though if you can
find a book that's still in print, you'd be an idiot not to use it.

Johnleemk