[WikiEN-l] {{spoiler}} vs. writing a goddamn encyclopedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue May 15 18:33:51 UTC 2007

Jeff Raymond wrote:
> I think, however, this is one of those times where we need to be cognizant
> of our audience and how we're used.  I don't think we should be completely
> ignorant of the fact that we're a quick reference tool, and that the
> typical way some people use Wikipedia lends itself to bizarre links and
> occasional missteps.
>
> Yes, it's kind of dumb to put a spoiler in [[The Christmas Carol]], which
> most English-reading audiences would know the ending of.  But is it
> equally as dumb for [[The Book Thief]]?

I agree we should pay attention to that possibility, but I think a lot
of it could be done in a subtler way.  In articles on specific works,
simply collecting the spoilerish content under a heading such as Plot
Summary ought to provide sufficient warning that plot information will
be given away in that section.  Other than that, just being a bit
careful about gratuitously spoiling endings could remove a lot of the
trouble---if a work relies heavily on a twist ending, then maybe mention
that it relies heavily on a twist ending in the intro, but don't mention
what the twist *is* until the Plot Summary section.

-Mark