[WikiEN-l] {{spoiler}} vs. writing a goddamn encyclopedia

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Tue May 15 08:30:10 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 5/15/07, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Much easier to delete {{spoiler}} and write an encyclopedia. What next?
>>

> If, of course, it's easier to piss off your readers and alienate your
> editors. I mean, it's always "easier" if everyone just does what you
> want, isn't it?
>
> Steve

Why would anyone go to an encyclopedia, which covers literary works
in-depth and as a whole, and not expect to have it "spoiled"? If I went
to an encyclopedia and found that only part of a work had been covered
in the interest of avoiding "spoilers", I'd be pissed off! If I'm
looking up encyclopedia coverage of a work, I expect to see a discussion
of every important aspect of that work, and generally the climax and
ending are critically important to a work. If I want to see a work of
fiction "unspoiled", here's a thought-I read/watch it before I go
digging for information on it!