[WikiEN-l] {{spoiler}} vs. writing a goddamn encyclopedia

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue May 15 06:00:55 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 5/15/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> On the other hand, one of the uses I put Wikipedia to on a regular basis
>>  depends on spoilers being present. I hate horror movies and never watch
>> them. But darnit, they often make the commercials for those movies so
>> _interesting._ So when I get hit with a horror movie promo that makes me
>> wonder what the heck the big secret of the movie is, I check out the
>> Wikipedia article and expect to find a nice straightforward plot summary
>> that explains all the main points.
>
> Yep. But you wouldn't object to having to click a link that said "Show
> spoilers" would you?

Not unless the structure of the article had to be extremely distorted in
order to preserve the spoiler. To stick with the Valen example, I popped
over there and found that there was a fair-use picture of Valen that was
linked to but not actually displayed in the article for fear of spoiling
his identity. But a recent change to how fair use images are dealt with
would result in this image being deleted, so I made the image visible. I
don't believe spoiler preservation takes precedence over being informative.