[WikiEN-l] {{spoiler}} vs. writing a goddamn encyclopedia

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue May 15 05:14:33 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Blu Aardvark <jeffrey.latham at gmail.com> wrote:
> I never thought I'd found myself saying this, but largely, I agree with
> you. When you go to look something up in an encyclopedia, some degree of
> spoilers should be expected.

Nah. Several times I would have liked to have read about future
episodes of a show I've watched, or a movie that I'm considering going
to see, but I refrain, because the use of spoiler templates is totally
unpredictable. You either get them used far too vaguely (like the
entire plot section is flagged as possibly containing spoilers), or
not at all. Is it so much to ask that only the actual *spoiler* part
be flagged, and that the "hide" template is used?

By "actual spoiler part", I definitely don't mean any information that
could be found in a blurb or marketing material about the movie. The
general outline of the plot is fine. The hidden fact that Johnson is
actually Wilson and that they are both undead zombies is a spoiler. In
some hypothetical movie, that is.

Steve