[WikiEN-l] Fwd: For the WikiEN-l list

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:57:04 UTC 2007

*Guy Chapman aka JzG* guy.chapman at spamcop.net
<wikien-l%40lists.wikimedia.org?Subject=%5BWikiEN-l%5D%20Fwd%3A%20For%20the%20WikiEN-l%20list&In-Reply-To=38a7bf7c0705141400l4dac6aebya2543edcf49b8006%40mail.gmail.com>
*Mon May 14 21:57:48 UTC 2007*
------------------------------

On Mon, 14 May 2007 14:00:47 -0700, "George Herbert"
<george.herbert at gmail.com

>*Centiare's hurdle (despite about 900 page views per day) has been
*>*getting more users to register and write articles about themselves,
*>*their companies, their home town, the book they're writing, the album
*>*they're recording, etc.
*
Precisely.  Because it lacks Wikipedia's unique combination of
attractions: large numbers of articles, on subjects people actually
give a shit about, with a massive presence on the web, and with
policies that prevent it being just a verbatim regurgitation of the
company's PR.

I mean, if I want to read a company's PR guff, I can find their
website.  What I actually want is an objective overview of that
company, which Centiare is specifically designed *not* to give.

All of which sums up why Gregory Kohs was doomed to frustration on
Wikipedia.

Guy (JzG)

+++   +++  +++  +++

Let me try to cut through the venom and vitriol that you seem to harbor,
Guy, and let me try to educate you about the advantages Centiare can provide
to the entrepreneur.  (Stop trying to attack the site from the perspective
of the "PR guff searcher" that you're trying to envision.)

Suppose you live in Littleton, Colorado, and you're planning a conference
event.  You want to design and mail out some cool invitations to a list of
your prospective attendees.  So, you want some local help with designing
these invitations.  What might you do?  Perhaps you'd go to Google and type
in "Littleton graphics stationery" and see what comes up.

Well, guess what happens when I typed in the three words, Littleton graphics
stationery, into a Google search?

This handy little site that happens to currently lack a large number of
articles and is full of "PR guff" managed to return one of its User's
Directory pages as the NUMBER ONE site out of nearly 20,000 results.

So, Guy, if you owned Lion Graphics and you were looking for business
prospects, you wouldn't be happy with that?  You'd rather keep pounding
away, trying to get your non-notable company into Wikipedia, against "the
rules"?  I just don't understand your angry opposition to Centiare, Guy.
Are you happier fighting small entrepreneurs on Wikipedia, or wouldn't you
rather direct them to another site that can help them accomplish their
online publicity objectives?

Greg

--
Gregory Kohs