[WikiEN-l] using wikipedia content to seed a social startup

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Mon May 14 15:00:49 UTC 2007

I think you might have fair use. Shared note taking from classes, combined with excerpts from textbooks, websites, Wikipedia might pass muster, especially if initial imports from Wikipedia were accompanied by a link back and information about the license.

Make a template Template:Wiki with this content:

Adapted from the [[Wikipedia]] article, "{{FULLPAGENAME}}" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/{{FULLPAGENAMEE}}  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/''{{FULLPAGENAMEE}}''], used under the [[GNU Free Documentation License]].

Then put {{wiki}} at the end of any imported material. Title of the page must conform to the Wikipedia article for this to work.

Your fair use would be as an education use. If it were handled in the manner Facebook is handled, and restricted to enrolled students, that would strengthen your position as would being nonprofit.

I think copying passages from textbooks would be a more significant stumbling block. They are not going to be forgiving.

As you may face significant litigation, you might consult an attorney who is admitted to your local district and appeals Federal courts.

Fred