[WikiEN-l] Fwd: using wikipedia content to seed a social startup

Fred Bauder fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Mon May 14 14:01:35 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Bauder [mailto:fredbaud at waterwiki.info]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 07:59 AM
To: 'Amir Michail'
Subject: Re:  [WikiEN-l] using wikipedia content to seed a social startup

If you import Wikipedia content to a wiki with the usual button, yes. But the same considerations would apply if they had accounts on the server and could upload html revisions.

>Even if I don't import any wikipedia content at all, some users may
>still (manually) copy and modify wikipedia content (or content from
>any other source).  Presumably this would fall under fair use anyway?
>
>Amir

It might, in certain limited cases, but why not simply link back to the Wikipedia article and label the material as covered by the GFDL? That way you are covered and maintain friendly relations.

Fred