[WikiEN-l] Please change your passwords. > Leadership

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 12:01:51 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
>> On 13/05/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> You still seem to be avoiding the key issue presented in this part of the
>>> thread: Is there, or is there not, a need in WP for a strong and formal
>>> structure of hands-on, day-to-day leadership?
>> on 5/13/07 5:15 PM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Answer: I'm not sure it would be workable, and I suspect it would kill
>> the golden goose.
>>
> David,
>
> In what ways could the existence of a designated, day-to-day leader be
> unworkable in WP? I believe, without such a leader,  the goose you refer to
> will inevitably lose its way.
>
> Marc

This thread suggests me to offer you this link for consideration:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200609/wikipedia/4

I have seen several leaders rise and fall in the history of Wikipedia.
But if they now do not have impact any more, they did at some point and
left a powerful inprint. All but one became leaders out of their own
abilities in leadership. Only one leader was designated in our past. He
went away over 5 years ago. Dozen of people had more influence that him
since then, but he stays a reference, at least in the press; I remember
when he left (and I am glad he did - we did not need him any more, he
was making more troubles than resolving them). But when a leader is
designated, it is difficult to have authority on him, and removing him
requires efforts and creates pain. I would rather recommand to help
natural leaders rise by themselves.