[WikiEN-l] Notability on the skfields

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon May 14 10:23:08 UTC 2007

"Steve Bennett" wrote

> I don't believe anything is "inherently notable", as some people put
> it, but I do believe we can for practical purposes include articles on
> whole categories of things, and just ignore the issue of notability in
> the interests of comprehensiveness.

Disagree with the first part; I think completism is a weaker argument for the second part than "if an article neither helps nor hinders the encyclopedia much, don't spend forever discussing it". For sequences of articles linked by succession boxes, for example, I do think completism is justified, in many cases; I would argue that it helps the encyclopedia.

Charles