[WikiEN-l] not sure what I should do

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon May 14 10:01:57 UTC 2007

On 14/05/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2007 07:41:10 +0200, Florence Devouard
> <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >But my question - as an innocent - the only choice I am given on the
> >template is to replace or change the license. There is already a
> >rationale to keep it. There is no link to the place where the issue is
> >discussed (I suppose it is not). The message is from a bot. Where am I
> >suppose to discuss and with who, to have it kept ? What can I do to
> >avoid automatic deletion ? It seems there is no clear venue where to
> >argue in favor of keeping this little memory of a pillar.
>
> A good point, but I think this is a time to ignore all rules.  One
> possibility is to replace the tag with an images for deletion tag, and
> then we summon the cabal to snowball keep it.  Another possibility is
> to point to the original upload, which was by the user, and take that
> as evidence of permission as we do with emails to the OTRS permissions
> queue.

There are no shortage of images on enwp which are marked with something like:

"The uploader did not specify a copyright status, but it appears
likely and plausible that they were the author and intended to release
this material under the GFDL"

{{GFDL-presumed}}, perhaps? Not sure.

Obviously it requires common sense, and some thought about the context
and content of the image, but it's a legitimate decision to make,
especially in contexts such as this (where we *know* the uploader was
a community member, we *know* they knew and understood our copyright
situation...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk