[WikiEN-l] using wikipedia content to seed a social startup

Amir Michail amichail at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:47:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

I was wondering whether it would be ok to use wikipedia content to
seed a social startup so that there is initially some compelling
content to attract users.

If so, what implications would this have with respect to complying
with the GFDL?

Must user contributions then be under the GFDL also? What if I kept
user contributions distinct from the wikipedia content?  But what
should "distinct" mean in this case? Can they be right beside each
other just as long as wikipedia content is clearly marked as from
wikipedia?

Note also that users may designate some of their contributions to be
private and so such contributions cannot be covered by the GFDL, even
though such contributions may appear beside wikipedia content for
those users.

Is it possible to use a different license for user contributions even
though they might be mingled with wikipedia content (but again,
wikipedia content would be clearly designated as such)?

Finally, do I need to provide some export feature for the wikipedia
content?  What if some modifications have been made to the wikipedia
content in a (mostly) automated way?

Amir