[WikiEN-l] Please change your passwords. > Leadership

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sun May 13 21:52:32 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 13/05/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> You still seem to be avoiding the key issue presented in this part of the
>> thread: Is there, or is there not, a need in WP for a strong and formal
>> structure of hands-on, day-to-day leadership?
>>

> Answer: I'm not sure it would be workable, and I suspect it would kill
> the golden goose.
>

> - d.

I'm not entirely sure you're right. I think these things kind of have a
natural progression. The earliest one was the "freewheeling frontier"
phase, and for a while, that worked pretty well. But that doesn't
necessarily scale all that well, even when it's initially successful. I
think we've probably outgrown it. Look at how many new things reach
hopeless deadlock-even when a majority of editors support them!

Ad-hoc, village-council style governance works great for a village.
Wouldn't do so well for New York City. To a certain extent, it's very
BITEy as well-instead of being able to tell well-intentioned people
"Here's the rulebook, go read it", we tell them "Oh, well, you'll learn
all the unspoken rules-as you trip over them."