[WikiEN-l] Notability on the skfields

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun May 13 07:01:32 UTC 2007

Todd Allen wrote:
> "It's damn near impossible to write objectively about yourself or
> something you have a vested interest in promoting" has a lot higher
> certainty than 90%. I'd put it somewhere around 99.999%, and even that's
> generous, that's saying 1 in 100,000 people could do it.

Highly implausible. Wikipedia has 4,300,000 registered accounts
(probably fewer individual users since a lot might be sock puppets or
throwaways, but this also doesn't count anons so call it an order of
magnitude estimate). So you're suggesting that, on average, there have
only ever been 43 registered users in the history of Wikipedia who have
been capable of writing "objectively about themselves or something they
have a vested interest in promoting?" That's _generous_? I think you've
got an overly pessimistic view of our contributors and would like to
know how you arrived at that figure.