[WikiEN-l] You're magically made an admin. What do you do?

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Fri May 11 21:22:53 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

> You realise of course all that came about for actual reason, and
> that's to keep [RfC] from becoming a venue for personal attack.

Then it's failed.  Often, it simply becomes a pile-on to attack the filer.

> (c.f. a recent deleted RFC 'certified' by five people, only the first
> of whom could actually show they had tried to solve the dispute before
> the mudslinging match. No, that's not what it's for.)

And why RfC is useless in some cases - this need for multiple people to
step in isn't helpful if the person causing the problem has enough people
backing them.

> WP:CN recently got taken to MFD for being a second port of abuse. No,
> you *don't* vote on banning people.

I know, and I think it got kept, or will at least end up no consensus.

> So how to not make it a troll magnet?

First, I think we need to stop worrying about possible trolls and start
worrying about the well-being of the project.  If we're worried about
trolling to the point where good-faith editors can't air their grievences,
what's the point?

-Jeff

--
If you can read this, I'm not at home.