[WikiEN-l] You're magically made an admin. What do you do?

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Fri May 11 13:54:45 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> Warn them on their talk page the first time, take them to RFC the
> second time (often a waste of time, but it's a hoop you have to jump
> through) and ArbCom the first - 3 chances is more than enough. I think
> ArbCom would take action - at the very least a stern warning such that
> they won't have any room for excuses the next time and will get
> desysopped.

I've been burned enough by RfC already and made the issue known in enough
places that I think I'll be avoiding that, but you've pretty much nailed
my plan of attack on this point.  I've just got to wait for time to slow
down a bit so I can actually focus.

> Perhaps we need a new system to take the place of RFC in cases like
> this - a Motions to Censure (MTC) page where anyone can take reports
> of misuse of admin tools (I would at least start it as only for
> admins, but if it goes well it could be expanded to problems with
> anyone).

I think CN could work well for this sort of thing, but something should be
done about RfC, too.

> There is an argument for only allowing admins to !vote. It would carry
> more weight if it's admins keeping control of each other, and it would
> stop people trying to censure admins every time they protect the wrong
> version.

This would never work, they're too busy protecting eachother.  This isn't
a cabalism thing, but a simple fact that, unless it's egregious abuse,
you'll likely have enough friends to stop by and stand up for you even if
you were completely off track.  I've seen it happen too many times at this
point.

> Opinions? Is it worth writing this up as a proper policy proposal?
> (Try saying that three times quickly! ;))

I'll pitch in where I can, certainly.

-Jeff
--
If you can read this, I'm not at home.