[WikiEN-l] Notability on the skfields

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri May 11 04:59:04 UTC 2007

So an article I started is being AfD'd for notability. So like most
responsible Wikipedians, I come here to this list to bitch about both
AfD and notability in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Invincible_Snowfields

The argument seems to go something like this: "There are 30 ski areas
in NZ. 29 of them are notable and deserve articles. This one isn't.
And doesn't".

The whole concept of notability just seems to be letting us down. Why
delete an article which completes the comprehensiveness of a topic, is
harmless (ie, is not causing us any headaches), and is not a slippery
sope - there's only one of them. I can think of lots of good reasons
to delete non-notable articles:
- There are so many that maintaining them is impossible
- They are magnets for spam, defamation and the like
- The people adding them have a vested interest which is constantly
fighting against the neutrality of Wikipedia
- They are poorly written and researched, because serious editors
don't care to spend any time or effort on them

But I don't see how any of those apply here. It's one single article
about a single ski area. Surely the interests of comprehensiveness
outweigh those of strictly enforcing a controversial guideline (not
policy)?

Steve