[WikiEN-l] Communication (was Re: Please change your passwords.)

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Thu May 10 06:55:52 UTC 2007

Rob Church wrote:

> The actual responsibility for communication throughout the Foundation,
> between the Board and the communities, and the development and system
> administration teams and those communities lies with the
> Communications Committee, who do not, as far as I can see, appear to
> have provided any advice to communities on this issue. This means, in
> my opinion, that they have failed to act within their remit.

As David pointed out, there has been some effort from the committee.
That being said, we know that communication is one of the great
challenges of an organization that's so widespread, both literally and
metaphorically.

To date, a lot of the Communications Committee work has been
outward-facing: dealing with the press inquiries that come in
constantly, and organizing the OTRS work through which we deal with
individual members of the general public. Internal communications could
use a lot more help. For instance, ideally we should have somebody who
can serve as a liaison with the developers, for just such situations as
this, but we don't really.

And in general, we need more volunteers for internal communications.
Some things are moving along - I'm glad to see an increasing number of
people putting in the effort to write for the Signpost, and hope to see
more of that. There are other good efforts out there that need help,
like Wikizine. More ideas and more volunteers are wanted, to make it
harder for people to miss out on important information in the stream of
communications.

--Michael Snow