[WikiEN-l] That random number

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Mon May 7 06:36:21 UTC 2007

On 5/7/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> If "trafficking" were as simple as "making the number show up on
> someone's computer screen", they'd get a lot more mileage out of suing
> Google than us.

The actions under discussion are:

1) emailing material to all subscribers on the list, including other
archivers, and
2) putting the material in our own list archives, which are websites

We already know from existing case law that hosting material on your
website and linking to the material on another website both constitute
"manufactur[ing], import[ing], offer[ing] to the public, provid[ing],
or otherwise traffic[king]". So that covers 2. If anything, 1 (which
involves actually sending the material out to people) is more likely
to fall under this definition than merely hosting the material on a
website is.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com