[WikiEN-l] That random number

Yonatan Horan yonatanh at gmail.com
Sun May 6 03:10:18 UTC 2007

It seems to me like more of a case of being afraid of getting sued (which is
of course a legitimate concern IMO and a very reasonable one considering the
current situation) than being afraid of a lawsuit that actually has a legal
ground. From what I've seen, the companies were making a case that the
numbers are copyrighted (if this assumption is wrong, you can skip to the
last sentence), which seems like a bullshit claim in a country where
copyright depends on creativity. If there is a successful [copyright
law-related] lawsuit (against digg or whomever) it'll be a sad day. Deleting
these e-mails from WMF servers doesn't mean we should just as well delete
e-mails concerning possibly libelous information, etc. as there is no threat
of a probable lawsuit like there is in this case.

-Yonatan