[WikiEN-l] Soft deletion redux

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sat May 5 03:16:43 UTC 2007

Experience at speedy and AfD shows that not all users can be relied on
to follow any criterion on deletion. Therefore, it is reasonable to
require confirmation by an experienced user, as is the current
practice.  Anyone who doubts this, should examine the history of such
pages as [[Brownstone, Brown Girl]] or [[A Walk in the Woods]] or
[[740 Park Avenue]].  One befuddled but honest user just yesterday
made a  joint AfD nomination of all the professors who are holders of
distinguished chairs at the University of Florida--and only the
distinguished professors. (One can equally point to pockets of total
spam unleashed as well.) The proper administration of a Purgatory
requires a Saint.  DGG

On 5/4/07, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/4/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > By the way, I don't consider AFD binary, there's already more than 2
> > possible results (aka merging, redirect, etc). But the lack of those
> > appearing on AFD, shows there's too many people thinking black and white.
> > Instead of people blanket voting delete, I would love them to address why
> > for example the merge another user suggested isn't appropriate.
>
> Or worse, I've seen people write AFD nominations which clearly say
> "this should be merged", and it gets deleted anyway due to the
> drive-by vote count.
>
> -C.W.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.