[WikiEN-l] Press coverage listing the HD-DVD key

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri May 4 22:23:19 UTC 2007

> I am cognizant of the fact that we are not actually dealing with
> rational actors here.

We don't know what we are dealing with. I strongly suspect the MPAA
are not certian what they will do yet. I expect we will find out after
the weekend.

>They have the corporate equivalent of batshit
> crazy right now because their *one dream* has been revealed to be
> snake oil yet again.

Not at all. They still have an untried encrption method on blu ray and
the HD-DVD system was built on the assumption that it was posible some
of the keys would be descovered. What they appear to be unhappy about
is the blatent flouting of the law that is meant to offer some
protection. Aditionaly they must know if they don't fight this time it
will be imposible to do so in future. Thus the stakes are increased.

Look at EMI's recent rethink. That rethink only makes sense if you
assume that most people are on some level law abideing. What MPAA are
seeing now is a large number are not (or outside the US although for
certian people I understand that ammounts to the same thing).

--
geni