[WikiEN-l] Press coverage listing the HD-DVD key

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Fri May 4 20:52:16 UTC 2007

> On 5/4/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > On 5/4/07, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm just curious. Isn't it a technical violation of US law/DMCA to
> link back
> > > to pages that include infringing material?
> >
> > I don't think that has ever been decided in court one way or another.
> > But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> It has.
> It's illegal if you knowingly do so for the purpose of disseminating
> the circumvention device.

The next important question then, I think, is would Wikipedia liable legally
if they served a DMCA takedown, and we did take it down? If the answer is
Yes, we'd be legally safe, then perhaps mentioning the string itself isn't a
risk. Maybe. Beyond that, the liability for posting/reposting would fall to
users and IPs that posted it?

--
Regards,
Joe