[WikiEN-l] Fwd: IDG press enquiry regarding the HD-DVD controversy

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri May 4 11:28:14 UTC 2007

On 04/05/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, it is assuming that Wikipedia's mission is to be a reference work,
> otherwise known as an encyclopedia. The last message we want to send
> is "If you're big and bad enough, and you don't like what we say, make
> rumblings about a lawsuit. It'll be gone within the hour." The message
> we want to send is "We're a reference work. We publish numerical
> values all over the place. It's not a "circumvention tool", it is a
> -number-. Its decimal value is somewhere around 1.325E37.

As a typical querulous wikien-l contributor, I must note that it is a
string of bits that happens to form a number. Certainly in its notable
form, it's a string of ASCII text.

Other than that, yes, precisely. Rolling over on this one is *ridiculous*.

Mind you, I still want to wait at least a week. The article's a bit
better now, but needs more substance.

- d.