[WikiEN-l] Fwd: IDG press enquiry regarding the HD-DVD controversy

Andrew Lau netsnipe at gmail.com
Thu May 3 06:07:26 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

Today I was approached by a journalist (who is a colleague of a friend
of mine from Uni) at IDG regarding our position on the publication of
the HD-DVD decryption key.

As far as I know:
* the [[WP:OFFICE]] has so far refused to intervene in the matter and
* the departure of Brad Patrick means we currently have no general counsel
* the Foundation has recieved no DMCA take down notices regarding the matter

For the last 24 hours, we've been censoring the HD-DVD key from
articles, talk pages, user pages and signatures and relying on
draconian measures such as full protection of [[HD-DVD]] and blocks
with the justification that we were awaiting official guidance.

Now that the desperately needed legal advice is apparently not
forthcoming, it may eventually appear to outsiders that we are
paranoid of what the AACS/MPAA may do to us instead of only being
cautious. I am starting to feel uncomfortable that many administrators
such as myself may be acting unilaterally over the matter based upon
our own personal (mis)interpretations of the DMCA instead of enforcing
an official stance or community consensus.

So how exactly should we respond to the press regarding this?

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Lau (Netsnipe)