[WikiEN-l] HD DVD key mess - OFFICE/Foundation?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu May 3 01:56:20 UTC 2007

On 03/05/07, Philippe Beaudette <philippebeaudette at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we write the article without publishing the string?  Sure.  So why do we have to do it, and potentially expose ourselves to liability?  If there's a way to do it, with no loss of academic integrity, why the heck wouldn't we?

Well, it's pretty clearly a loss of academic integrity.

Would [[Illegal prime]] lose by not having the allegedly illegal
number quoted? Hell yeah.

See the snippet of L. Ron Hubbard's handwriting in [[Xenu]]? That's my
personal favourite piece of fair use on Wikipedia (yes, I put it
there). Could the article be written without it? Of course. Would it
lose something important? Hell yeah.

I expect we can put the number into the article that already exists. I
doubt doing it today will stick. I'm just glad we don't have to have
Wikipedia perfect on a second-by-second basis. Immediatism really gets
in the way of writing the encyclopedia.

- d.