[WikiEN-l] contacting schools

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:52:14 UTC 2007

The same student vandalized again today.  Exact same editing pattern, same
time of day, etc.

The school network admin has replied to me and will try to find the
student.  It seems to be the one student responsible for this, over the past
1-2 months and the 1,999 other students there are not a problem.  If one or
the few students responsible can be stopped, I think it would largely take
care of the problem.

I also suggested XFF, which I'm willing to work with them on, and willing to
be diligent and keep track of the IP.

-Aude

On 5/2/07, Deathphoenix <originaldeathphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some success with Lancaster University. I originally slapped one of
> their proxies with a 6 month AO block due to persistent, long term
> vandalism, but one of the sysadmins contacted me and told me they have XFF
> headers. After some fruitful discussion/negotiation, I removed the block
> and
> put up a header on the talk pages for their four proxies asking anyone who
> blocks the IP (or issues a warning) to also send an email to their abuse
> email, or to ask me to send and email. FYI, I have links to the four
> proxies
> at [[User talk:Deathphoenix/Lancaster]] (the IP talk page header is at
> [[User:Deathphoenix/Lancaster]]).
>
> Lancaster's IT department has been quite good at identifying vandals and
> forwarding the cases to their internal departments. Quite a number of
> student-vandals have had stern talking-tos from the head of their User
> Services department, and they have all been quite repentant once they
> realise that they are NOT anonymous.
>
> My suggestions for the school network admins and staff would be:
>
> 1. Implement XFF headers and make sure students have to log in using a
> unique user ID (easiest would be based on student number) before using
> school computers.
> 2. Have an easy-to-contact abuse email address that we can slap on the IP
> talk page, asking people to forward vandalism diffs.
> 3. Act promptly to reports sent to the abuse email address and
> (optionally)
> let the abuse reporter know when the vandal is identified and if any
> action
> has been taken.
>
> Cheers,
>
> DP
>
> On 5/1/07, Aude <audevivere at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have experience contacting schools regarding vandalism and
> can
> > offer advice/best practices?
> >
> > I had to block one of the schools one of the jurisdictions where I
> > attended
> > school, and comfortable contacting them.  They can possibly track down
> > which
> > student did the latest vandalism, but not really sure what the school
> can
> > do
> > to stop them.  I only speculate that it's a relatively small number of
> > other
> > kids responsible for previous incidents of vandalism from the
> > school.  Does
> > that sound reasonable?
> >
> > The majority of edits from the school IP are not constructive, but some
> > are
> > constructive.  The volume of vandalism is moderate, but manageable (on
> our
> > end) and not high as I've seen with other schools.  And have no idea how
> > many students and staff there edit with accounts.  I prefer not simply
> > blocking the whole school because of some bad kids.

> [...]

Aude