[WikiEN-l] Category destruction

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:09:53 UTC 2007

On 02/05/07, cohesion <cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:

> I will preface this all with saying I don't take much part in the
> on-wiki category discussions, but here's how I would fix it:
>
> 1. Forget any concept of hierarchy (except when obviously useful) It's
> never going to be a large scale hierarchy, so don't try.
> 2. Stop worrying about having too many categories on a particular
> article. Maybe every single person *should* be in [[Category:People]]
> why not?

What you've done here is basically create a tag system with the
ability to have tags relate to each other. Which is good and funky and
I'd use it too, but... well, we could just create a seperate one
rather than tearing down the existing categories. Duplicate the
category code, change it a bit, implement a new namespace, fiddle
around with the CSS, Bob's your uncle.

> That or use semantic mediawiki and say [[died from::cancer]] in the
> article, but no one likes that idea for some reason.

This always struck me as like a dentist complaining no-one ever wants
to replace all their teeth with undecayable plastic ones - it's so
much better! But they all complain about the inconvenience... ;-)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk