[WikiEN-l] HD DVD key mess - OFFICE/Foundation?

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed May 2 16:01:24 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 2, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Andrew Lih wrote:
>
> > That's not Wikipedia's battle to fight. It seems that Digg will be the
> > pioneer in that realm.
>
> And here I agree with you. But the issue is NOT one of "blatant
> illegality." It's one of legal risk, but we wade into that every time
> we use a fair use image. The issues here are editorial, not legal.

Yes, which is why there is a massive purge going on right now of fair
use images. Whoops, maybe not everyone knew that. :)

It's pretty clear the legal risks are pretty significant: Wikipedia a
top 10 web site and a history of the AACS licensor actions to much
lesser known sites
(http://www.chillingeffects.org/notice.cgi?sID=03218).

Just because we don't like the law, does not mean we should be
intentionally dense about the implications of it.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)