[WikiEN-l] Revealed! Why the community is on crack

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Wed May 2 15:46:27 UTC 2007

To my mind, you can start to see the cracks in 2004-05 or so - when
policy formation stopped being possible because you couldn't get a
75-80% vote on anything. (This was back in the days when this was how
we did policy formation) Attempted policies on trolling and blocking
for personal attacks failed. That is to say, we lacked a key element
of a constitution - rules on how to adapt. And, worse, the lack
became a problem precisely because we had too damn many people,
rendering it nigh-impossible to come up with one.

And indeed we haven't really come up with one. Policy formation is a
madhouse. We can chart the various flavors of madness it's gone
through if we want, but that's not really the point.

To my mind, the telling example in the essay is LambdaMOO. The
wizards need to come back.

-Phil