[WikiEN-l] Wikicharts

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed May 2 03:32:37 UTC 2007

Wikicharts is still up and running:
Observations from April:
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~leon/stats/wikicharts/index.php?lang=en&wiki=enwiki&ns=articles&limit=100&month=04%2F2007&mode=view

* Current events really do dominate. Three of the top ten are related
to the Virginia Tech massacre.
* "Wiki" is a perennial favourite, which I find a bit bizarre.
* It's very odd that World War II, World War I, Vietnam War and even
Cold War are in the top 100, but Iraq War isn't. I wouldn't have
expected the high placement of WWII and Adolf Hitler.
* Apparently viewers' obsession with sex is diminishing. Only two
sex-related articles in the top 20.

I also note from the 1 day of May stats (
http://tools.wikimedia.de/~leon/stats/wikicharts/index.php?lang=en&wiki=enwiki&ns=articles&limit=100&month=05%2F2007&mode=view#settings
):
* The daily FA ranks #12
* The date itself does well (May 1 #14, May Day #2)
* Popular culture does very well: Heroes #4, List of characters in
Heroes  #6, Spider-man 3 #7, List of Pokemon #10...

Should we be reacting to these statistics in some way? Given the
enormous interest in our [[Wiki]] article, should we put more effort
into making it an FA?

Steve