[WikiEN-l] Citation obsession

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed May 2 03:12:44 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> There has always been conflict between our need to warn the reader that
> what they are reading can't be trusted, and our desire for an ultimately
> clean and professional presentation. Over time, Wikipedia has moved in the
> former direction, towards bolder and more visible warnings, which is not
> something I would have predicted back in 2003.

My observation is the opposite. Our unreferenced tags are drifting
towards the bottom of the article, rather than the top. Many other
tags are migrating towards the talk page rather than the article
itself. Our "expand this article" tags are disappearing altogether.

I do wish we more use of explicit "disputed" tags instead of the
rather passive-aggressive "citation needed" tag, though.

Steve