[WikiEN-l] contacting schools

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed May 2 03:06:40 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Aude <audevivere at gmail.com> wrote:
> What other things can the school network administrator and staff do?  Any
> suggestions?

They could probably provide information about the internal IP
structure of the institution. I'm not sure if by "school" you're
mainly referring to high schools or universities, but they could
possibly tell us which IP ranges are used by staff, and hence
shouldn't be blocked, for example.

Do we have an effective mechanism for saying "Sorry, your IP comes
from a network known for anonymous vandalism. If you'd like to edit
Wikipedia, you'll need to create an account"? I know in the past we
couldn't do that, but seem to recall things changing. Perhaps we could
even enforce the use of email addresses in such instances? There
should be no shame in upping our hurdle to contribution for networks
with a long history of vandalism.

Steve