[WikiEN-l] contacting schools

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed May 2 01:55:39 UTC 2007

If I remember correctly, in some cases, the school's network admin has
specifically requested that the IP be long-term blocked from anonymous
editing. I haven't done any abuse reporting here, but I've done so in
some other cases. Schools tend to be pretty responsive and helpful, in
my experience.

On 5/1/07, Aude <audevivere at gmail.com> wrote:
> The talk page there seems rather inactive, though I notice that Durova has
> contacted schools with some success.  I'll see what Durova suggests, though
> welcome any other advice on what schools realistically can do, short of
> asking for an anon. only block on the IP.
>
> I'd be curious to know how many different kids are responsible for vandalism
> incidents from the IP.  If it's just a small number of kids, maybe something
> more specific can be done without affecting the rest of the school.  Though,
> I'm not sure what.  Not sure a teacher or anyone could really convince a
> student to behave while on the computer.  Or if some technical restrictions
> can be in place for specific kids.
>
> -Aude
>
> On 5/1/07, Pilotguy <pilotguy.wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Why not file a report or ask someone over at WP:ABUSE? They usually have
> > experience in handling these types of situations.
> >
> > On 5/1/07, Aude <audevivere at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone have experience contacting schools regarding vandalism and
> > can
> > > offer advice/best practices?
> > >
> > > I had to block one of the schools one of the jurisdictions where I
> > > attended
> > > school, and comfortable contacting them.  They can possibly track down
> > > which
> > > student did the latest vandalism, but not really sure what the school
> > can
> > > do
> > > to stop them.  I only speculate that it's a relatively small number of
> > > other
> > > kids responsible for previous incidents of vandalism from the
> > > school.  Does
> > > that sound reasonable?
> > >
> > > The majority of edits from the school IP are not constructive, but some
> > > are
> > > constructive.  The volume of vandalism is moderate, but manageable (on
> > our
> > > end) and not high as I've seen with other schools.  And have no idea how
> > > many students and staff there edit with accounts.  I prefer not simply
> > > blocking the whole school because of some bad kids.
> > >
> > > What other things can the school network administrator and staff
> > do?  Any
> > > suggestions?
> > >
> > > --Aude
> > >

> > --
> > Pilotguy
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pilotguy
> > --
> > Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org
> > ---
> > Disclaimer: all mail to this address is answered by a Wikimedia
> > contributor,
> > and responses are not to be considered an official statement of the
> > Wikimedia Foundation. For official correspondence, you may contact the
> > site
> > operators at <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>.
> >

> --
> Aude

Freedom is the right to know that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.