[WikiEN-l] Why aren't *all* wikia.com links restricted under nofollow?

Blu Aardvark jeffrey.latham at gmail.com
Tue May 1 21:26:33 UTC 2007

I just don't see it as a conflict of interest.

I see it as a conflict of interest that the founder of a popular online
encyclopedia uses his status to push a for-profit endeavor of his. I see
it as a conflict of interest that the software behind Wikia was
initially developed for Wikipedia (yes, I know MediaWiki != Wikimedia,
but one cannot deny their relationship). But I *do not* see the presence
of Wikia on the interwiki map to be a huge conflict of interest, except
in the sense that Wikia is only "notable" because it was founded by a
notable person.

Wikia is among hundreds of prefixes available on the interwiki map, and
very few - actually, close to none - have any relationship to Wikipedia
or its founder.