[WikiEN-l] Category destruction

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue May 1 14:00:06 UTC 2007

David Goodman wrote:

>I think most people would agree that the category system is
>cumbersome, but it replaced to earlier systems of classification that
>were even worse.  I'm a librarian, and Im going to answer on the page
>mentioned. In my opinion, summarizing, no commonly used existing
>universal classification scheme is  suitable for WP, and developing a
>new one is an inordinate amount of work. Rewriting the database to
>adapt to one will be even harder. Perhaps the best approach is simply
>a better search engine.  ~~~~

I think that I raised both the better search engine, and an organized
category scheme back before categories were implemented.  Neither
happened, and the results have been predictable.

I don't think that such a thing as a perfect classification scheme
exists, but we _can_ do better than we have now.

Ec