[WikiEN-l] Why aren't *all* wikia.com links restricted under nofollow?

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Tue May 1 12:55:28 UTC 2007

Blu Aardvark wrote:
> John Lee wrote:
>> Having said that, I still don't understand why the MediaWiki patch was
>> rejected. Why is it not sensible to allow MediaWiki installations to
>> nofollow interwiki links? It's a feature someone out there might conceivably
>> want.
>>

> It's conceivable, but probably fairly unlikely. Interwiki links, by
> their nature, are incredibly unlikely to be spam (although there are a
> lot of prefixes in the default table that are, in my opinion, utter
> crap). Still, the patch is available if a user is genuinely concerned
> about it.

I still don't understand the resistance to making all non-Foundation
sites no-follow. The fact that people disagree with the idea, but are
providing no rational reason, only encourages the perception that there
*is* conflict of interest in the current situation.

Let me emphasize: perception is important in this issue.

-Rich