[WikiEN-l] Why aren't *all* wikia.com links restricted under nofollow?

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue May 1 12:15:32 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Precisely. As I understand it, the reason interwiki links aren't nofollowed
> is because we can be damn sure that they're not spam, since all these
> domains have to be preapproved before you can link to them using the
> interwiki format. If we could have this sort of certainty for normal links,
> I'm sure we would (or ought to) remove the nofollow attribute.

I still don't understand that line of reasoning.  How is it that "we
can be damn sure that they're not spam"?  Whether or not a link is
spam is dependent on where it is linked from and for what reason.  You
can't point to any domain name and say that a link to it isn't going
to be spam, and certainly not when you're pointing to a page with
content that can be changed by anyone at any time for any reason.

Anthony