[WikiEN-l] Category destruction

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Tue May 1 12:12:22 UTC 2007

on 4/30/07 7:08 PM, David Goodman at dgoodmanny at gmail.com wrote:

> I think most people would agree that the category system is
> cumbersome, but it replaced to earlier systems of classification that
> were even worse.  I'm a librarian, and Im going to answer on the page
> mentioned. In my opinion, summarizing, no commonly used existing
> universal classification scheme is  suitable for WP, and developing a
> new one is an inordinate amount of work. Rewriting the database to
> adapt to one will be even harder. Perhaps the best approach is simply
> a better search engine.

David,

Thank you for the time and thought you put into this issue - both here and
on the Talk Pages. It is clear to me from your conclusions that solving the
problems I believe exist with the present Wikipedia Category System involves
more than simply rewriting policy. The System has the potential of being a
powerful research tool. And, since Wikipedia itself is a groundbreaking
creation, a truly workable Categorization System within it could be
precedent setting. I hope someone, someday takes the challenge of creating
one.

Thank you again,

Marc Riddell

--
A work of art is the artist's way of sorting out the chaos.