[WikiEN-l] Citation obsession

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:26:23 UTC 2007

On 4/29/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:

> Most sources you'll find in a thirty second search will be self-published
> web pages,
> and we can't use self-published sources.  Even just figuring out whether
> or
> not a web page is self-published within the Wikipedia meaning takes longer
> than
> 30 seconds.

There's nothing wrong with using self-published sources, the key is to find
ones that themselves cite their sources and are professional and
well-written.
If I were to write an article on subject X right now, someone would
eventually use it as a source if I wrote a good enough text. They become a
problem when you use them to make yourself, your business or your own fringe
opinions seem more important than they are. That's when they're not allowed.

Mgm