[WikiEN-l] Lock new article creation for three months

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 20:56:03 UTC 2007

On 31/03/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with this. It's a lot easier to fix
> the 1,5 million articles we have if there's not constantly new stuff pouring
> in. But people will turn to Wikipedia if there's a new hurricane or massive
> flood or to read about a country's new prime minister or president.
>
> These are the type of articles that need to be created and kept up-to-date
> as they happen for maximal effect. If we were to do this for a significant
> amount of time, we'd be severely lacking in articles about current events.
> How do you think we should handle that?

Oh, we can invent a process. Give the "article creation right" flag to
admins or bureaucrats or [some arbitrary respected group of people],
have a process where new articles can be created in a short period if
it's utterly essential, leave them to it with the understanding it
really shouldn't be used much.

It's certainly nothing we can't solve just by fiddling the rules a
little bit, and as we ourselves *make* the rules...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk